We have all experienced this at some point. That individual who you care about so much, that person who you’re willing to do almost anything for – just refuses to acknowledge your presence and how vital you are to the upkeep and overall maintenance of the relationship or ‘friendship’.
Here ladies and gentlemen, are a few signs to look out for, if you’re wondering whether or not you’re being taken for granted in your relationship.
1.When you call or text your partner, they don’t call you back even if several hours pass by and you know they’re not that busy. Or worse, when you confront them about it in the evening, they tell you that they completely forget about it!
2. They get very impatient with you. Your partner loses their temper very easily while trying to explain something to you. And at times, they intentionally try to explain it in a way that’s too complicated to understand just to make you feel small.
3. They just don’t have time for you. You may make plans several weeks in advance, but they keep cancelling it with silly reasons all the time. But yet, each time they make plans, even in the last minute, they expect you to drop everything and be there for them.
4. They don’t fear losing you. How can you tell? They just don’t seem to care with whom you go or what you’re doing, even if you mention that you’re at a party or out with an old friend from college. And at times, they may even make bold statements in arguments like “I know you’ll never find someone as good as me” or “You know I’m too good for you!”
5. Mistakes. They just don’t admit their mistakes even when they’re wrong. They have a very big ego and they just don’t ever want to see you outdo them at something. They believe that looking small in front of you or apologizing to you is an insult to their ego. [Read: 17 questions to help you realize if you’re being abused in your relationship]
6. You’re used to being forgotten. It’s been happening for so long that you don’t even think twice about it. Your partner forgets your birthday or your special days, doesn’t really know what’s happening in your life, and doesn’t take the initiate to even ask you about your day because they believe their life is so much more important than yours.
7. You’re not their priority. Your partner may not acknowledge this, but you know this already. You don’t feel like you’re an important part in their life, and see yourself as a second or third option at best. [Read: Should you make someone a priority when you’re only an option to them?]
8. Your favors. Your special favors have now turned into an expectation. Even if you do something special, your partner believes it’s your responsibility to do that. And if you don’t do something nice all the time, your partner gets angry with you or sulks like you’ve done something really bad.
9. Your sacrifices don’t count. You may have sacrificed many things for your lover, your happiness, your life or even your future. But yet, your partner doesn’t respect you and still behaves like you’re such a small part of the relationship.
10. You’re ignored. Your partner is indifferent towards you. Sometimes, they don’t answer your questions, at other times, they just give you a dark stare and walk away even if you ask them something. [Read: How your own self respect affects the way your partner treats you]